- (Of a bird’s feet) having two toes pointing forward and two backward.More example sentences
- Their legs are strong, and feathered in many species; they have zygodactyl raptorial feet.
- Paleogene fossils also document diverse extinct branches of the neornithine tree, ranging from large pseudotoothed seabirds to giant flightless land birds to small zygodactyl perching birds.
- All the small zygodactyl or semizygodactyl forms, generally from Eocene deposits, are jumbled together in the family Zygodactylidae.
nounBack to top
- More example sentences
- Owls are zygodactylous: two toes face anteriorly and two toes face posteriorly.
- The feet are zygodactylous, with two toes pointed forward and two toes pointed backward.
- The feet of most woodpeckers are large and zygodactylous, meaning two toes point forward and two backward on each foot.
More definitions of zygodactylDefinition of zygodactyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary