Synonyms of shoulder in English:
- 1give someone the cold shoulder
- snub, shun, cold-shoulder, ignore, turn one's back on, cut, cut dead, look right through, rebuff, dismiss, reject, brush off, turn down, spurn, disdain, refuse, decline, repudiate, ostracizeBritish informal knock back, send to CoventryNorth American informal give someone the bum's rush, give someone the brushAustralian informal snoutinformal, , dated give someone the go-by
- 2put one's shoulder to the wheel
- get (down) to work, apply oneself, set to work, fall to, buckle down, get down to business, put one's hand to the plough, roll up one's sleeves, get things moving, start the ball rolling;work hard, make an effort, strive, be industrious/diligent/assiduous, exert oneselfinformal give it one's best shot, get cracking, get one's finger out, get weaving, get the show on the road, get off one's backsideBritish informal get stuck indated buckle to
- 3shoulder to shoulder
- 2 he fought off the attack on economic internationalism, shoulder to shoulder with City bankers
verbBack to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.