adjectiveArchaeology , • dated
- 1Relating to or denoting the first Palaeolithic culture in Europe, now usually referred to as the Lower Acheulian.More example sentences
- The researchers identified in the cave three different ancient human cultures: Acheulean, Abbevillian, and Mousterian.
- Early Acheulian or Abbevillian begins in Karnataka around 1.5 million years ago and advance Acheulian continues up to 15 million years ago at Patpara in Son Valley.
- Extensive archeological finds of obsidian instruments roughly fashioned by the primitive man indicate ancient human settlements in Armenia, dating back to the Old Stone Age (Abbevillian culture) and further onwards.
1930s: from French Abbevillien 'from Abbeville', a town in northern France where tools from this culture were discovered.
More definitions of AbbevillianDefinition of Abbevillian in:
- The US English dictionary