noun (plural same)
- 1A member of a people living mainly in Abkhazia.More example sentences
- No one has been able to offer anything attractive enough to woo the South Ossetians and Abkhaz into a unified country.
- However, among the Abkhaz and Ossetians, tension and radical nationalism after the disintegration of the Soviet Union led to civil wars.
- They were represented on the flag by green and white stripes: four greens for the Muslims (Circassians, Balkars, Chechens, Daghestan) and three whites for the Christians (the Abkhaz, Kabards, Ossetians).
- 2 [mass noun] The North Caucasian language of the Abkhaz.More example sentences
- Most Abkhazians are ethnic Abkhazes and their first language is Abkhaz, though they speak Russian as well.
- The Abkhaz texts were translated by George Hewitt from their original language.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Abkhazia, its people, or their language.More example sentences
- It is true that the military channelled logistical support to Abkhaz separatists during the war.
- The apparent end of the Abkhaz election crisis should pave the way for resuming talks with Georgia on settling the territorial conflict.
- The Abkhaz coast appears, fringed with palms, oleanders and groves of eucalyptus trees planted long ago by the Russians to dry out the malarial marshes.
More definitions of AbkhazDefinition of Abkhaz in:
- The US English dictionary