Definition of Adar in English:
1(In the Jewish calendar) the sixth month of the civil and twelfth of the religious year, usually coinciding with parts of February and March. It is known in leap years as Second Adar.
- Purim is celebrated on the 14th and 15th days of Adar, the twelfth month of the Jewish Calendar.
- Today, in traditional Jewish congregations, the Sabbath preceding the first of the month of Adar is called ‘Sabbath Shekalim’.
- The sixth month of the Jewish calendar is called Adar, and in leap years there are two Adars called Adar I and Adar II.
1.1An intercalary month preceding Adar in leap years, also called First Adar.
- The only month ever added to the year is Adar in which case the year has two Adar's: A First Adar and a Second Adar.
- This year we celebrate two months of Adar, Adar Rishon (First Adar) and Adar Sheni.
- This last past Monday, we entered a new Jewish month, the month of Adar Rishon (First Adar; this is a Jewish leap year) about which the Talmud writes.
From Hebrew ’ăḏār.
Definition of Adar in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan