A long, slender olive-brown to greyish snake found in Europe and SW Asia. In ancient times it was protected owing to its mythical link with the god of medicine, Aesculapius.
- Elaphe longissima, family Colubridae
More example sentences
- To this day the Aesculapian snake forms part of the symbols representing physicians and veterinarians.
- The Aesculapian snake has a uniformly brown back with a streak of darker colour behind the eyes.
- Since the Aesculapian snake is not closely related to that group, another available generic name had to be found for it.
Definition of Aesculapian snake in:
- The US English dictionary