- 1A native or inhabitant of Afghanistan, or a person of Afghan descent.More example sentences
- Then they said they would stay back and try to help the Afghans effect national reconciliation.
- Some weapons will be blown up while usable weapons will be handed over to the Afghan's own national army, which is now being formed.
- The Turks and Afghans who served in the Moghul Army are believed to have brought this dish to Hindustan.
- 2 another term for Pashto.More example sentences
- The first and most important Afghan word the nurses learned was ‘dahrt,’ which means pain.
- In fact, the neighboring district of Khash located on the ancient Silk Road to China is the source of the Afghan word for opium poppy.
- The Afghan word for hope is Arman and that is exactly what the station is about.
- 3 (afghan) A woollen blanket or shawl, typically one knitted or crocheted in strips or squares.More example sentences
- I sat on the green plastic chair covered with five afghans crocheted for him each year for Christmas by my mother.
- My mother was also a world champion knitter who knit afghans, sweaters and all kinds of winter wear.
- Her mother was curled up in bed, sweating in her pink flannel pajamas, covered with a crocheted afghan even in the summer heat.
- 4 short for Afghan coat or Afghan hound.More example sentences
- The only type of brush capable of getting through an Afghan's coat is one with an air cushion behind the tufts.
- The Afghan stands 27- 29 inches tall and weighs 58-64 pounds.
- Afghans require weekly baths and brushing to remove dead hair and to prevent the tangling and matting to which they are prone.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Afghanistan, its people, or their language.More example sentences
- Second, having an Afghan leader eliminates the language barrier.
- First, the language in the constitution that requires Afghan law to be in accord with Islam was strengthened.
- He wore Afghan clothes, spoke their languages, and understood their traditions.
from Pashto afghānī.
More definitions of AfghanDefinition of Afghan in:
- The US English dictionary