Definition of Afrikaans in English:
A language of southern Africa, derived from the form of Dutch brought to the Cape by Protestant settlers in the 17th century. It is an official language of South Africa, spoken by around 6 million people as their first language.
- There are also some 13,000 persons of Asian descent in South Africa who speak Afrikaans as their native language.
- As a further mark of its ethnic diversity, South Africa has 11 official languages, including Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, and Sotho.
- As something distinct from the Dutch of Holland, with all the classic features so typical of Afrikaans today, Cape Dutch is believed to have come into being by the middle of the 18th century.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Afrikaner people, their way of life, or their language.
- This wonderful beast comes from South Africa and through its peculiar name, which comes from the Afrikaans language, it is the first animal in the dictionary.
- They live in the Kalahari Desert, and their common name, Meerkats, comes from the Afrikaans language.
- The Afrikaans press has reported that it is possible that three New National Party members could join the ANC.
Words that rhyme with Afrikaansadvance, à outrance, chance, dance, enhance, entrance, faience, France, glance, lance, mischance, outdance, perchance, prance, Provence, stance, trance
Definition of Afrikaans in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.