Definition of Akkadian in English:
1An inhabitant of Akkad.
- While the Sumerians, Babylonians, Akkadians and other groups were busy creating a Mesopotamian civilization in the Fertile Crescent of the Ancient Near East, another civilization had appeared to the west.
- Syria was settled successively by the Akkadians, Arameans, and Canaanites, and formed a valuable province of successive empires, from the Phoenicians to the Byzantines.
- The Sumerians, Akkadians, Mesopotamians and Ancient Egyptians certainly enjoyed them.
2 [mass noun] The extinct language of Akkad, written in cuneiform, with two dialects, Assyrian and Babylonian, widely used from about 3500 bc. It is the oldest Semitic language for which records exist.
- From about 2500 BC onwards, the cuneiform script was also used to write Akkadian and Eblaite, which are Semitic languages.
- However, in 1927 Neugebauer decided that he wanted to research into Babylonian mathematics and, to enable him to do so, he learnt Akkadian which is the language in which the Babylonians wrote their tablets.
- The cosmopolitan nature of the city is evident from the presence of documents written in Ugaritic, Akkadian, Hittite, Egyptian, Hurrian, and even Cypro-Minoan.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Akkad or its language.
- She taught him Egyptian hieroglyphics; he perfected her Akkadian language.
- The gods ruled the world of men through their earthly representatives, and in the case of the Akkadian kingdom, this meant Sargon.
- Many of these cities became quite powerful, and as described earlier, by the beginning of the 23rd century B.C. the Akkadian king Sargon had established a far-flung empire which included Sumer, Akkad, and other lands much further afield.
Definition of Akkadian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan