(also Alawite /ˈaləwʌɪt/)
noun (plural Alawis)
- A member of a Shiite Muslim group living mainly in Syria.More example sentences
- Alawis hold the positions of real power in the ruling party.
- "We are about 50,000 Alawites," he said.
- Mr. Hadimogullari is an Alawite whose grandparents found themselves Turkish citizens when his hometown, Samandag, formerly part of Syria, was ceded to Turkey in 1923.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to or denoting the Alawis.More example sentences
- There was considerable tension within the Alawi community.
- It is a Sunni town with an Alawite town less than a mile to the south, interspersed with Christian and more Sunni settlements.
- Tripoli is home to many members of Lebanon's small Alawite minority population.
late 19th century: Arabic ‘Alawī '(follower or descendant) of Ali' (see Ali).
More definitions of AlawiDefinition of Alawi in:
- The US English dictionary