Definition of Albanian in English:
2 [mass noun] The language of Albania, with about 6 million speakers. It forms a separate branch of Indo-European, and has two distinct dialects, Tosk and Gheg.
- Before arriving in England she could already speak English, Albanian and Serbian.
- I knew a few words of Albanian - enough to say hello and goodbye and thankyou.
- Five percent of the people speak Albanian, most of these concentrated in the southern province of Kosovo.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Albania or its people or their language.
- The peace plan aims to undercut the rebellion by granting greater rights to the one-third minority in everything from the use of the Albanian language to greater recognition of Islam.
- Key partners of the accord, including the prime minister and ethnic Albanian leader, were among many absentees when debate resumed after being muzzled for two days by the parliament speaker over demands for refugee returns.
- Western sources said final accord on a package of reforms to give Macedonia's Albanian minority more rights in order to end a five-month-old guerrilla insurgency was expected either late yesterday or this morning.
Definition of Albanian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia