- A handheld lamp for signalling in Morse code.More example sentences
- We flew just below cloud level, at 600 ft, until we spotted HMS Sheffield, which signalled to us with an Aldis lamp, giving us the bearing and the distance of the Bismarck.
- Ships also use flashing lights between vessels - the Aldis lamp - as another means of semaphore signalling.
- As we turned to the right downwind, I briefed the copilot to look for our clearance-to-land via the green Aldis lamp from the tower, since we had no radios.
First World War: named after Arthur C. W. Aldis (1878–1953), its British inventor.
More definitions of Aldis lampDefinition of Aldis lamp in:
- The US English dictionary