- 1An Arabic version of Ptolemy’s astronomical treatise.More example sentences
- Finally, the translation of Ptolemy's Almagest furnished important astronomical material.
- But once they had translated Ptolemy's Almagest, they developed astronomy so quickly that their mark is found at every step.
- Menelaus's work formed the basis for Ptolemy's numerical solutions of spherical astronomy problems in the Almagest.
late Middle English: from Old French almageste, based on Arabic, from al 'the' + Greek megistē 'greatest (composition)'.
More definitions of AlmagestDefinition of Almagest in:
- The US English dictionary