- The English language as spoken and written in the US.More example sentences
- This derives from Beijing Mandarin and is about as similar to that dialect as American English is to British English.
- When we do read in translation, we are normally reading books translated into standard British English or standard American English.
- The differences in words and meanings of words between British English and American English are a constant source of interest and amusement to me.
As well as differences from British English in spelling, pronunciation, and grammar, there are specifically American uses of words and meanings, principally: adoptions from languages with which the early settlers came in contact (moccasin, prairie), changes in meaning (corn, vest), survivals of 17th- and 18th-century English (gotten), and different words for the same referent (elevator for lift)
More definitions of American EnglishDefinition of American English in:
- The US English dictionary