- A kind of football played with an oval ball on a field marked out as a gridiron. Points are scored mainly through touchdowns and field goals. Each side has eleven players on the field at any time. In the US called simply football.More example sentences
- Having experienced professional football and American football he is eager for rugby to take on similar codes of practice.
- What I don't want is for football to become American football.
- The three most popular American spectator sports are baseball, basketball and American football.
More definitions of American footballDefinition of American football in:
- The US English dictionary