Definition of Americanize in English:
verb[with object] (often as adjective Americanized)
Make American in character or nationality: an Americanized accent school administrators tried to Americanize the immigrant children
More example sentences
- For a long time it seemed to me as though savage irony and Americanized hyperbole was the only appropriate voice with which to articulate the ridiculous anachronisms of British society.
- It was our Americanized nickname, because we couldn't pronounce his whole name and get anything else done.
- The parents felt that they were too Americanized to see the advantage of our culture now, but would realize when they grew up.
- Example sentences
- She says that most parents are more interested in the Americanization of their children and are always rushing around from one activity to another, leaving little time for their kids to learn dance the proper way.
- The most notable critics of Americanization were not leaders from the immigrant communities but intellectuals such as Randolph Bourne and Horace Kallen.
- An extraordinary photo series by Nabil Boutros demonstrates the ways Cairo continues to expand and change in the face of globalization and Americanization.
Definition of Americanize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan