- The official language of Ethiopia, a Semitic language descended from Ge’ez and spoken by about 9 million people.More example sentences
- The dates on the tombs follow the Ethiopian calendar which is seven years behind the Gregorian; the inscriptions are written in Amharic, Ethiopia's official language.
- Apart from working on these languages, the team has also put in place a system for translation from English to Amharic, an Ethiopian language.
- Many of the groups are bilingual, and because of the legacy of Ethiopian domination over Eritrea, many Eritreans also speak Amharic, the Ethiopian administrative language.
adjectiveBack to top
- Relating to Amharic.More example sentences
- Most Eritreans - Muslim, Christian and animist - rejected absorption into Haile Selassie's Amharic empire and, later, the Marxist terror state of the Dergue, which overthrew him.
- When differentiating between ‘traditional’ and ‘modern’ art, he uses the Amharic terms bahelawi and zemenawi.
- On the two open pages, in crude script, is the Amharic caption, ‘The nun at her prayers,’ followed by the date ‘1992 AM,’ i.e., the Ethiopian Year of Mercy 1992.
More definitions of AmharicDefinition of Amharic in:
- The US English dictionary