Definition of Amphisbaenia in English:
A group of reptiles which comprises the worm lizards.
- Suborder Amphisbaenia, order Squamata
- This is one of a suborder of legless lizards called Amphisbaenia (one weird Mexican group actually has two front legs).
- Snakes, lizards and Amphisbaenia are closely related and belong to a single order, Squamata, with three suborders.
- Rhineura is a member of Amphisbaenia, a lineage of mostly limbless burrowing lizards known from the Paleocene onward.
- 1 noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Caecilians, urodeles and some anurans, snakes, amphisbaenians and some lizards have a stapes, which may be attached to the shoulder girdle or skin, and are well suited to detecting low frequency vibrations from the substrate.
- Scleroglossa is a diverse and speciose group including all remaining lizard families, plus snakes and amphisbaenians.
- In snakes and amphisbaenians M. iliocostalis has its origin from either a tendon (most squamates) or a tendonous sheet arising from the anteroventral half of M. longissimus dorsi.
Definition of Amphisbaenia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan