Definition of Anisoptera in English:
A group of insects which comprises the dragonflies. Compare with Zygoptera.
- Suborder Anisoptera, order Odonata
- Depending on the author's preferences, dragonflies, Anisoptera, are subdivided into 6-15 families.
- They have two pairs of almost equal-sized glassy wings [Anisoptera means ‘unequal wings’] and their compound eyes have up to 30,000 facets.
- The Order Odonata is subdivided into two suborders: damselflies and dragonflies (Anisoptera).
anisopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Zygopterans and tabanids were absent, and coleopterans, neuropterans, trichopterans, hemipterans (true bugs), and anisopterans were rare.
- Assuming that E. superstes is indeed an outgroup taxon to Anisoptera, it clearly emerges as the most suitable outgroup for rooting the anisopteran clade.
- A list of records of anisopteran larvae and final instar exuviae with attached zebra mussels is provided.
Definition of Anisoptera in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan