A group of insects which comprises the dragonflies. Compare with Zygoptera.
- Suborder Anisoptera, order Odonata
More example sentences
- Depending on the author's preferences, dragonflies, Anisoptera, are subdivided into 6-15 families.
- They have two pairs of almost equal-sized glassy wings [Anisoptera means ‘unequal wings’] and their compound eyes have up to 30,000 facets.
- The Order Odonata is subdivided into two suborders: damselflies and dragonflies (Anisoptera).
modern Latin (plural), from Greek anisos 'unequal' + pteron 'wing'.
- More example sentences
- Zygopterans and tabanids were absent, and coleopterans, neuropterans, trichopterans, hemipterans (true bugs), and anisopterans were rare.
- Assuming that E. superstes is indeed an outgroup taxon to Anisoptera, it clearly emerges as the most suitable outgroup for rooting the anisopteran clade.
- A list of records of anisopteran larvae and final instar exuviae with attached zebra mussels is provided.
Definition of Anisoptera in:
- The US English dictionary