A North American hummingbird which lives chiefly in California. The male has an iridescent rose-red head and throat.
- Calypte anna, family Trochilidae
More example sentences
- Male Anna's hummingbirds raised in isolation produce much simpler songs than do wild males.
- You can also see more widely ranging North American hummingbird species such as the black-chinned, broad-tailed, rufous, calliope, Costa's, Allen's, and Anna's hummingbirds in this region.
- Along the Pacific Coast, the large Anna's hummingbird may be found, as well as Allen's, black-chinned, broad-tailed, calliope, Costa's, and rufous hummingbirds.
mid 19th century: named after Anna, the wife of Prince François Massena (circa1795–1863), Duc de Ravoli, who obtained the original specimen.
Definition of Anna's hummingbird in:
- The US English dictionary