Definition of Anoplura in English:
An order of insects that comprises the sucking lice. Also called Siphunculata. See also Phthiraptera.
- Up to date, no Anoplura of this family of Carnivora were known in Argentina.
- The Anoplura have, so far as is known, no insects which are parasitic upon them and probably very few enemies, except their hosts.
- This is a sucking louse, order Anoplura, and is a blood feeder on mammals.
Modern Latin (plural), from anoplos 'unarmed' + oura 'tail'.
anopluran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Three types of anoplurans parasitize human beings, the head louse, the body louse and the pubic louse.
- The sucking lice or the anoplurans have mouthparts fitted for piercing and sucking.
- The tarsi of anoplurans consist of a large claw and a process that acts like a thumb.
Definition of Anoplura in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan