- A large class of sedentary marine coelenterates that includes the sea anemones and corals. They are either solitary or colonial, and have a central mouth surrounded by tentacles.More example sentences
- The Anthozoa (sea anemones and corals) possess only the polyp form.
- In the context of relationships among cnidarian taxa assigned the Linnaean rank of class, Anthozoa may be perceived as basal.
- In any case, there is molecular evidence to suggest that the Anthozoa are the earliest branch of the phylum Cnidaria.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek anthos 'flower' + zōia 'animals'.
More definitions of AnthozoaDefinition of Anthozoa in:
- The US English dictionary