Definition of Arabism in English:
1 [mass noun] Arab culture or identity.
- Indeed, it is only one nation that remains as a failing bulwark of political Arabism; the issue may now be the survival of cultural Arabism as the dominant regional model.
- In addition, his analysis of the life of Azzam Pasha and the national and economic aspirations he represented is also a reflection of the evolution of Arabism as an historical and cultural movement.
- He made the keffeiyeh scarf the universally accepted symbol of Arabism more than any king in neighbouring and infinitely richer Arab countries.
1.1Support for Arab nationalism or political interests.
- Developing an Arab consciousness meant that he began to express his political ideas in the framework of Arabism and the Arab nation, instead of that of Islamism and the Islamic nation.
- There are Muslim thinkers who meld political Islam and Arabism - this is common in Egypt, e.g. But they belong to a different religious and intellectual tradition.
- A key difference between us, however, was that the ‘isms’ that my generation had believed in had all died by the time he was growing up - Arabism, nationalism, socialism, Marxism, third worldism.
2An Arabic linguistic usage, word, or phrase.
- He noted that some of the characters closely resembled Hebrew and Arabic letters and concluded that it was a form of Aramaic, although with ‘a few Arabisms’.
- The second section addresses Spanish Arabisms, focusing on their history and phonological change.
- A list of common Arabisms is provided and 28 are discussed in more detail.
Arabist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- In casting off Western civilization, Thesiger gained admittance to one of the most elite and self-consciously literary tribes in modern English writing - the British Arabists.
- He is among the best of the Western reporters now in the Middle East in part because he is an Arabist.
- Traveller, Arabist, and great Victorian outsider, Burton joined the Indian army in 1842.
Definition of Arabism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan