Definition of Argive in English:
1Relating to the ancient city of Argos.
- The Argive king Tantalus began a pattern of destruction for Argos after he offended the gods by feeding them his son Pelops at a banquet.
- Perhaps the most famous statue of the classical period is the Doryphoros by the Argive sculptor Polyclitus, which he also referred to as the Canon.
- But the author also lets us know that his heroine is committed to ideals of ‘tenderness and justice ‘that transcend national frontiers at a time when the Argive state is under threat.’
1.1(Especially in Homer) Greek.
nounBack to top
1A citizen of Argos.
- The Athenian alliance with the Argives, the Boeotians and the Corinthians against Sparta in the Corinthian War is portrayed as a gesture of compassion for the weak.
- Here, perhaps some 24,000 Boeotians, Corinthians, Argives, Euboeans, and Athenians faced between 18,000 and 19,000 Spartans and their allies, in possibly the greatest hoplite battle ever fought.
- Now that Spartan backing was no longer a guarantee of political ascendancy, one Euphron, who had previously exploited Spartan favour, persuaded the Argives and Arcadians to help him install democracy.
1.1(Especially in Homer) a Greek person.
From Latin Argivus, from Greek Argeios 'relating to Argos'.
Words that rhyme with Argiveswallow dive • scuba-dive
Definition of Argive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.