Definition of Armageddon in English:
1(In the New Testament) the last battle between good and evil before the Day of Judgement.
- Jesus is expected to come back to earth and begin his one thousand-year reign after he defeats the anti-Christ in the battle of Armageddon.
- From the Christian perspective, human history is a struggle between good and evil, with the end of history itself understood in light of the final climactic battle of Armageddon.
- As the time of the tribulation or Armageddon approached, the forces of evil would become restive and more aggressive.
1.1The place where the Armageddon will be fought.
- According to the Book of Revelations, the final battle in the history of the future will be fought on an ancient battlefield in northern Israel called Armageddon.
- Firstly, the plains of Armageddon are where a great mass of armies will gather, not fight.
- Israeli archaeologists on Saturday said they had discovered what may be the oldest Christian church in the Holy Land on the grounds of a prison near the biblical site of Armageddon.
1.2A dramatic and catastrophic conflict, especially one seen as likely to destroy the world or the human race: nuclear Armageddon
More example sentences
- Ten years after the end of the Cold War, the threat of a nuclear Armageddon has receded, but the collapse of world communism and its repercussions are still works in progress.
- With no choice but retaliation a nuclear Armageddon ensued.
- In addition, some of the economic arguments proposing financial Armageddon if we vote no are unfounded.
Greek, from Hebrew har mĕgiddōn 'hill of Megiddo' (Rev. 16:16).
Words that rhyme with Armageddondeaden, leaden, redden
Definition of Armageddon in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.