Definition of Armenian in English:
1A native of Armenia, or a person of Armenian descent.
- Thus Circassians, Albanians, Slavs, Greeks, Armenians and even Italians rose to occupy the highest offices of the Empire.
- Some believe that Armenians are native to the Anatolian Highlands and the Ararat Valley of west-central Asia.
- There are also urban linguistic enclaves of Armenians, Greeks, Italians, and others.
2 [mass noun] The Indo-European language of Armenia, spoken by around 4 million people and written in a distinctive alphabet of thirty-eight letters.
- One hundred fifty thousand report Armenian as the language spoken at home in 1990, up from 102,387 in 1980.
- Foreign language editions of his books include translations in Arabic, Armenian, Chinese, French, Hungarian, Russian, and Spanish.
- Other languages spoken in Iraq are Turkish, Aramaic, Kurdish, Armenian, and Persian.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Armenia or to the Armenian Church.
- There are a small number of Uniates, Seventh-Day Adventists, Baptists, Pentecostalists, Armenian Apostolics, and Molokans.
- Whenever I try to arrive in the church early to avoid the crowds, there is an Armenian ceremony going on in the grotto.
- There are similar statistics for the historic Armenian quarter in Jerusalem and the Coptic Christian minority in Egypt.
Definition of Armenian in:
- US English dictionary