- An artistic movement that originated in Italy in the 1960s, combining aspects of conceptual, minimalist, and performance art, and making use of worthless or common materials such as earth or newspaper, in the hope of subverting the commercialization of art.More example sentences
- Penone explains that he himself had no intention of ‘becoming’ an Arte Povera artist - although he knew artists of that ilk - and that Celant's ideas did not influence him at all.
- As opposed to endorsing a distinctive style, Arte Povera described a process of open-ended experimentation.
- If anything, Arte Povera distinguishes itself as the most poignant of all minimal and conceptual art movements and Anselmo is no exception.
1960s: Italian, literally 'impoverished art', from arte 'art' + povera (feminine of povero 'needy').
More definitions of Arte PoveraDefinition of Arte Povera in:
- The US English dictionary