- 1Relating to or denoting a people speaking an Indo-European language who invaded northern India in the 2nd millennium bc, displacing the Dravidian and other aboriginal peoples.More example sentences
- Some time in the second millennium BCE the Aryan people arrived in north-west India.
- Believing that he had spoken to the ancient Iranian high god Ahura Mazda, Zoroaster undertook a reform of the old Indo-Iranian religion of the Aryan invaders of India and Iran.
- The use of honey was taken to India by its Aryan invaders and became associated with religious rites.
- 1.2(In Nazi ideology) relating to or denoting people of Caucasian race not of Jewish descent.More example sentences
- The Jews figured in Nazi ideology as the arch-enemy of the Aryan race.
- They believe the Jews control the U.S. government and are out to destroy the Aryan race.
- The 1935 Nuremberg Race Laws against Jews outlawed mixed marriages in pursuit of a pure Aryan race.
The idea that there was an ‘Aryan’ race corresponding to the parent Indo-European language was proposed by certain 19th-century writers, and was taken up by Hitler and other proponents of racist ideology, but it has been generally rejected by scholars
nounBack to top
- 1A member of the ancient Aryan people: the Aryans brought Hindu religious thought to IndiaMore example sentences
- He seems likely to have been a chief god of the Aryans, who invaded the Indian subcontinent in the second millennium BCE.
- It is argued that Aryans brought horses and chariots into the Indian sub-continent and that accounts for their mention in the Vedas.
- Together with Mehregan (entrance of Libra to the house of Sun), it was one of the ‘two’ New Years of the ancient Aryans.
- 1.1 [mass noun] The language of the Aryan people.More example sentences
- To a scientifically trained person, genetics of course cannot tell if some people living thousands of years ago were Aryan speakers or Dravidic speakers.
- 1.2(In Nazi ideology) a person of Caucasian race not of Jewish descent: he looked the image of the ideal Aryan: tall, with Nordic blonde hairMore example sentences
- In the early stages of Hitler's terror, the Jewish spouses of Aryans were spared transportation to ‘the East.’
- Hitler believed that the Aryans were a superior race.
- There he was with black hair, as far away as he could come in appearance from the Aryans, the master race with which he wanted to populate the earth.
from Sanskrit ārya 'noble' + -an.
More definitions of AryanDefinition of Aryan in:
- The US English dictionary