- An effect whereby an atom which has been ionized by removal of an electron from an inner shell loses energy by emitting an electron from an outer shell.More example sentences
- This is known as the Auger effect or autoionization since the ion has self-ionized after the photoionization event.
- The second is the Auger effect, by which the hole left by the excited core electron is filled by an outer electron.
- A brief history of the discovery of the Auger effect is given, which is followed by a short description of some of the fields in which this discovery has had a major impact.
1930s: named after Pierre V. Auger (1899–1993), French physicist.
More definitions of Auger effectDefinition of Auger effect in:
- The US English dictionary