- 1Relating to or denoting the early stages of the Upper Palaeolithic culture in Europe and the Near East. It is dated in most places to about 34,000–29,000 years ago, and is associated with Cro-Magnon Man.More example sentences
- With the skeletons were Upper Palaeolithic flint tools of Aurignacian type and signs of decorative art in the form of pierced sea shells.
- The Mladec collection also includes Aurignacian tools and art associated with early modern humans.
- By 25,000 years ago, the Aurignacian culture had virtually disappeared, confined to a few small pockets scattered across southern Europe.
early 20th century: from French Aurignacien, from Aurignac in SW France, where objects from this culture were found.
More definitions of AurignacianDefinition of Aurignacian in:
- The US English dictionary