(also Axminster carpet)
- A kind of machine-woven patterned carpet with a cut pile: [as modifier]: an Axminster loomMore example sentences
- Which kind of puts into perspective his spilling paint over the new Axminster carpet on his previous visit.
- Never mind the threat of cholera and typhoid, Mrs Jones at number 47 has had to replace her Axminster!
- But this time I'm really worried; I'm not going to get upset about the blood on the Axminster when the rain's still pouring down and the cat isn't back yet.
early 19th century: named after the town of Axminster in southern England, noted since the 18th century for the production of carpets.
More definitions of AxminsterDefinition of Axminster in:
- The US English dictionary