Definition of Baka in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a nomadic Pygmy people inhabiting the rainforests of south-eastern Cameroon and northern Gabon.
- Development groups such as CIAD (Centre International d' Appui au Developpement Durable) are now training the Baka in how to become farmers, in order to provide them with an alternative source of income.
- By the end of the week that child and all his family will have been visited by the Baka.
- The ‘Vente de Coupe’ concession system is the most devastating for the Baka.
2 [mass noun] The Bantu language of the Baka.
- In Gabon, the Baka language is surrounded by the Bantu languages.
- An ex teacher, Bishop Marona has a distinguished academic background, has written several books and translated the scriptures into his own Baka language.
- Linguistically the Baka language is related to the Bongo, Moro Kodo and Jur Beli referred to as central Sudanic group.
Perhaps from Lingala Ba-aka 'Pygmies'.
Definition of Baka in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.