Definition of Balkanize in English:
Divide (a region or body) into smaller mutually hostile states or groups: ambitious neighbours would snatch pieces of territory, Balkanizing the country (as adjective Balkanized) the balkanized world of the Senate Banking Committee
More example sentences
- Meanwhile this often Balkanised city has been united by the Lakers' triumph.
- But they also Balkanised the research, dividing it up into many different journals, most of which charge for access.
- Preferential agreements are creating ‘a series of islands or island economic units’ and there is a risk of ‘further Balkanising the global economy.’
- Example sentences
- The division of peoples along national, ethnic and religious lines can lead only to a Balkanisation of the continent, with the most terrible consequences.
- What do we want, a Balkanisation of the country?
- The drive to create a clearer national identity is also backed by religious leaders who are likewise concerned about the Balkanisation of the country.
Pronunciation: /ˌbɔːlkənʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/ /ˌbɒlkənʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/noun
1920s: from Balkan Peninsula (where this was done in the late 19th and early 20th century) + -ize.
Definition of Balkanize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.