- A series of lines in the visible and ultraviolet spectrum of atomic hydrogen, between 656 and 365 nanometres.More example sentences
- Bohr was not the first to apply quantum theory to atomic structure, but he was the first to derive detailed quantitative explanations of characteristic atomic spectra such as the Balmer series.
- Students will be measuring the wavelengths of the Balmer series lines in this laboratory.
- Using equation, calculate the wavelengths of the first seven lines in the Balmer series of hydrogen.
from the name of the Swiss physicist J. J. Balmer (1825–98).
More definitions of Balmer seriesDefinition of Balmer series in:
- The US English dictionary