Definition of Balt in English:
1A speaker of a Baltic language; a Lithuanian or Latvian.
- Despite large populations of noncitizens, most of whom did not know the local language, there was almost no violence between Balts and Russian-speakers.
- Song is the soul of the Balts; and their national song festivals feature 30,000-strong choirs.
2A native or inhabitant of one of the Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- But it also mentioned Stalin's occupation of the Baltic states, his wartime deportations of Balts and others and the contribution made by US lend-lease equipment to the Soviet victory.
- At different times Stalin conducted mass arrests of Poles, Balts, Chechens, Tartars and on the eve of his death - Jews.
- Ukrainians and Balts went on strike in the spring of 1953.
late 19th century: from late Latin Balthae 'dwellers near the Baltic Sea'.
Definition of Balt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan