Definition of Balt in English:
1A speaker of a Baltic language; a Lithuanian or Latvian.
- Despite large populations of noncitizens, most of whom did not know the local language, there was almost no violence between Balts and Russian-speakers.
- Song is the soul of the Balts; and their national song festivals feature 30,000-strong choirs.
2A native or inhabitant of one of the Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia.
- But it also mentioned Stalin's occupation of the Baltic states, his wartime deportations of Balts and others and the contribution made by US lend-lease equipment to the Soviet victory.
- At different times Stalin conducted mass arrests of Poles, Balts, Chechens, Tartars and on the eve of his death - Jews.
- Ukrainians and Balts went on strike in the spring of 1953.
Late 19th century: from late Latin Balthae 'dwellers near the Baltic Sea'.
Words that rhyme with Baltassault, exalt, fault, halt, malt, salt, smalt, vault
Definition of Balt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.