Definition of Baluchi in English:
noun (plural same or Baluchis)
1A native or inhabitant of Baluchistan.
- The discussion on minorities in Pakistan has drifted aimlessly into defining Baluchis, Sindhis and Pashtuns as minorities and Pakistan as seething cauldron under Punjabi domination.
- The principal non-Persian Indo-European speakers include Kurds, Lurs, Baluchis, and Armenians, making up approximately 15 percent of the population.
- Most of the leaflets were threatening for which reason many Afghans, especially Pashtuns and Baluchis, found them insulting.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Iranian group spoken by over 5 million people in and around Baluchistan.
- In addition to Persian, some Hazaras also speak Pashtu, Baluchi, and Turkic.
- It also contains Turkic Azeri, Turkmen and Qashqai speakers, and smaller Indo-European languages like Lur and Baluchi.
- Many Brahui-speakers are bilingual, speaking Baluchi or other local languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Baluchi or their language.
- Pakistani officials have, in turn, accused India and, by implication, the US, of stirring up Baluchi separatists.
- Pinned to the rear bulkhead is a red-and-blue Baluchi prayer rug.
- Census figures were not broken down into ethnic or linguistic categories, although it can be estimated that several hundred thousand Omanis were of Baluchi origin.
From Persian Balūč(ī).
Definition of Baluchi in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.