- An ancient Celtic festival celebrated on May Day.More example sentences
- Traditionally it is the Celtic festival of Beltane and the pagan festival celebrating the first spring planting, only in recent times has it evolved into a day of political and social protests.
- This makes the crucial link between the festival of May Day, the Beltane festival of fertility.
- This was celebrated by the festival of Beltane (commonly called May Day, now).
late Middle English: from Scottish Gaelic bealltainn.
More definitions of BeltaneDefinition of Beltane in:
- The US English dictionary