Definition of Benue-Congo in English:
Relating to or denoting a major branch of the Niger-Congo family of languages, spoken mainly in Nigeria and including Efik and Fula.
- The only published data on eBoze are some hundred words in the Benue-Congo Comparative Wordlist.
- Frequently Niger-Congo is divided into the linguistic subgroups: Atlantic, Benue-Congo, Kwa, Mande and Voltaic.
- Indeed, the Adamawa-Ubangi branches and Benue-Congo of the subfamily Niger-Congo nearly cover the whole Congolese territory.
noun[mass noun] Back to top
The Benue-Congo group of languages.
- Other African languages which have only singular logophoric pronouns include Babungo, a Grassfields language, Igbo, a Benue-Congo language, and Songhai, a Central Sudanic language.
- Formerly considered as a Kwa language, recent research has placed Ibo in the Benue-Congo family of languages.
- Like most Benue-Congo languages, Ibibio is tonal and is an example of a terraced level tone language.
From the names of rivers.
Definition of Benue-Congo in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan