noun[mass noun] ( • trademark in the US)
- A format for video recorders, now largely obsolete.More example sentences
- In 1976, movie studios sued Sony over its Betamax videotape recorder, claiming it facilitated piracy.
- Until recently, I thought electronic books were sharing a graveyard with eight-track tapes, Betamax video recorders and record players.
- Sony's Betamax video tape recorder, which famously lost the 1980s video format war but held on for decades as a niche product, will finally be laid to rest after digital formats delivered a death blow…
1970s: from Japanese beta 'all over' + -max from maximum.
More definitions of BetamaxDefinition of Betamax in:
- The US English dictionary