- A novel dealing with one person’s formative years or spiritual education: the book is a bildungsroman of sorts, as Tull overcomes his abused childhood and learns about loveMore example sentences
- Hughbury Shamp, a teenager with a yen for fame - note: all three novels are Bildungsromane - follows three masters whom he introduces at the beginning of his first-person account, an echo of Marcus Aurelius starting his meditations.
- The tendency of novel theory to define the novel as a genre that is sui generis does lead to certain impasses and quandaries, whether in the theory of the novel as such or of a subgenre like the Bildungsroman.
- E. L. Doctorow's Billy Bathgate is a Bildungsroman which shares many central characteristics with Updike's novel and Roth's.
German, from Bildung 'education' + Roman 'a novel'.
More definitions of BildungsromanDefinition of Bildungsroman in:
- The US English dictionary