Definition of Bolshevik in English:
1A member of the majority faction of the Russian Social Democratic Party, which seized power in the October Revolution of 1917.
- When the Bolsheviks seized power in 1917, few observers outside Russia expected the new regime to survive even one month.
- So how did the Russian Marxists, the Bolsheviks, respond?
- I am sure you know the circumstances under which the Bolsheviks seized power in October 1917.
1.1chiefly derogatory (In general use) a person with politically subversive or radical views; a revolutionary.
- As the idea of modernism and design was yet to reach New Zealand, the ‘radical’ man was often denounced as a Bolshevik.
- It was compassion and its absence, he said, which marked the difference between Englishmen and Bolsheviks.
- The Bolsheviks in Beatle boots are back, more entrenched than ever in the corporate machine but not an ounce less mouthy on the Marxist tip.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or characteristic of Bolsheviks or Bolshevism: the Bolshevik revolution
More example sentences
- As the conflict progressed, Bolshevik propagandists proved themselves masters of their trade, turning the minds of British soldiers and Russians alike, often with devastating consequences.
- Aside from shaking one's head at this disconnect from reality, one can only recall Czar Alexander's diary entry on the eve of the Bolshevik revolution, which noted the weather and what he had for breakfast.
- Despite his hostility to Marxism, he insisted that the revolution was not a Bolshevik coup but a massive social revolt involving millions of workers and peasants.
Russian, from bolʹshe 'greater' (with reference to the greater faction).
- Example sentences
- The main threats identified by the party were now trade unionism, egalitarianism, redistributive welfare, socialism, and Bolshevism.
- For years, Soviet historians and Western critics saw Leninism as identical with Bolshevism and as the logical ancestor of Stalinism.
- The film gives no indication of his attitude toward Bolshevism, Stalinism, Trotskyism or any other political tendency in the twentieth century.
- Example sentences
- Well, while I disagree with your Bolshevist take on socialism, I must say that Mr. Brenner's article on mental illness was as moving as it was enlightening.
- You want Germany to fall into the hands of the Bolshevists?
- The German delegates protested that the result would be anarchy and famine from which only the Bolshevists would profit.
Definition of Bolshevik in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan