- A fossil hominid of the Middle Pleistocene period, whose fragmentary remains were found at Boxgrove near Chichester, SE England, in 1993 and 1995. Dated (controversially) to about 500,000 years ago, it is one of the earliest known humans in Europe.
More example sentences
- Homo heidelbergensis (or H. erectus), family Hominidae
- These are the remains of ‘Boxgrove man’, the earliest ancestral human yet found in Britain.
- The small town of Boxgrove is just outside Chichester on the way from Arundel where the famous Boxgrove man was dug up.
- And then Boxgrove man and his tribe departed, leaving one human shin as evidence that they walked in, and walked out again.