- A public holiday celebrated on the first day (strictly, the first weekday) after Christmas Day.More example sentences
- It was expected to be even busier today - the official Boxing Day bank holiday.
- When I was a child Boxing Day was my favourite Day of the Christmas Holidays.
- Before Boxing Day last year, the coastal towns and villages of Sri Lanka had vibrant communities.
mid 19th century: from the custom of giving tradespeople a Christmas box on this day.
More definitions of Boxing DayDefinition of Boxing Day in:
- The US English dictionary