Definition of Brummagem in English:
1 informal Relating to Birmingham or the dialect of English spoken there.
- 'Proper Brummie: A Dictionary of Birmingham Words and Phrases', compiled by Steve Thorne and Carl Chinn, represents the first serious attempt to comprehensively document the Brummagem dialect.
- The dropped "h" and the excessive conjunctions of Brummagem dialect clash with the conventional prose of Richard's speech.
2 dated Cheap, showy, or counterfeit: a vile Brummagem substitute for the genuine article
More example sentences
- We see it as a Brummagem display (hence the ‘tramp stamp’ moniker) and it usually inspires thoughts we cannot air in polite company.
- Yes you, with your Brummagem display of sardonicism!
- They suffer all the Brummagem sentiments emanating therefrom, and return confirmed in the belief that they have tasted the culture of Einstein and Beethoven.
Words that rhyme with Brummagemstratagem • Rackham
Definition of Brummagem in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan