Definition of Buddha in English:(often the Buddha)
1.1 (as noun a Buddha) Buddhism A person who has attained full enlightenment.
- Second, the stra teaches that a Buddha, upon attaining nirva, does not go into extinction, but abides in the world for aeons out of compassion for those still in need of teaching.
- You see, whenever a Buddha, a fully enlightened soul, sets his foot on the indra-keela of a city with a firm purpose in mind, miracles occur, it is said.
- A Bodhisattva is a person who's not yet become a Buddha but is on the way.
1.2 (as noun a Buddha) A statue or picture of the Buddha.
- Halls for the secondary Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are often named according to the statue that they house.
- Travelling along the corridor to the Buddhism area, our eyes were blinded by an underground palace with thousands of gold sculptured Buddhas.
- The Buddhas I saw in corners were not serene or reassuring presences, as they might be in other parts of Asia.
Sanskrit, literally 'enlightened', past participle of budh 'know'.
Words that rhyme with Buddhado-gooder
Definition of Buddha in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.