- 1.1 (as noun a Buddha) Buddhism A person who has attained full enlightenment.More example sentences
- Second, the stra teaches that a Buddha, upon attaining nirva, does not go into extinction, but abides in the world for aeons out of compassion for those still in need of teaching.
- You see, whenever a Buddha, a fully enlightened soul, sets his foot on the indra-keela of a city with a firm purpose in mind, miracles occur, it is said.
- A Bodhisattva is a person who's not yet become a Buddha but is on the way.
- 1.2A statue or picture of the Buddha.More example sentences
- Halls for the secondary Buddhas and Bodhisattvas are often named according to the statue that they house.
- Travelling along the corridor to the Buddhism area, our eyes were blinded by an underground palace with thousands of gold sculptured Buddhas.
- The Buddhas I saw in corners were not serene or reassuring presences, as they might be in other parts of Asia.
Sanskrit, literally 'enlightened', past participle of budh 'know'.
More definitions of BuddhaDefinition of Buddha in:
- The US English dictionary