- A stratum of sedimentary rock exposed in the Rocky Mountains in British Columbia, Canada. The bed, dated to the Cambrian period (about 540 million years ago), is rich in well-preserved fossils of early marine invertebrates, many of which represent evolutionary lineages unknown in later times.More example sentences
- The best-known of these sites is the legendary Burgess Shale in the British Columbian Rocky Mountains.
- Pictured above is Canadia, from the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale of British Columbia.
- Patrick Orr, now at the National University of Ireland in Galway, and I decided to analyse some Burgess Shale fossils by mapping the distribution of elements using an electron microprobe.
named after the Burgess Pass, British Columbia, where the shale outcrops.
More definitions of Burgess ShaleDefinition of Burgess Shale in:
- The US English dictionary