- A landlocked country in western Africa, in the Sahel; population 15,746,200 (est. 2009); official language, French; capital, Ouagadougou. A French protectorate from 1898, it became an autonomous republic within the French Community in 1958 and a fully independent republic in 1960. Former name (until 1984) Upper Volta.
- More example sentences
- Following the rice plantation project, Taiwan began to help the Burkinans to develop their fishing industry in the Bagre area last July.
- The greatest challenge of my summer internship was to meet the expectations of the Burkinans.
- Visitation was not advised after this time because the heat became too uncomfortable even for the Burkinans, often over 40-degrees Celsius.
Pronunciation: /bəːˌkinəˈbeɪ/adjective & noun
More definitions of Burkina FasoDefinition of Burkina Faso in:
- The US English dictionary