Definition of Buryat in English:
1A member of a people living in southern Siberia, Mongolia, and northern China.
- It is the primary religion of ethnic Buryats, Kalmyks, and Tuvans.
- The Buryat see it as a stake in the sky, and all the other stars horses tethered to it.
- Buryats have achieved a high level of education that helps equip many for work in regional industries such as aircraft manufacture.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Buryat, related to Mongolian and having over 400,000 speakers.
- Buryat has a variety of written styles, but as in most national languages of the USSR, its official, business and scientific styles were not developed enough to ensure its use in multiple domains.
- Most people spoke Buryat, a softer more rhythmic language with few of the harder sounds of Russian.
- My Russian was not very well developed then, and the children spoke both accented Russian and their native Buryat.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Buryat or their language.
- Nikolai's father was a businessman, half Russian and half Buryat.
- In the last decade the Buryat language situation has been the focus of research and discussion within the Buryat community.
- So we were in good company, as we were meeting her friends, including a professor of Buryat history at the University.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan