Definition of Bushman in English:
noun (plural Bushmen)
1A member of any of several aboriginal peoples of southern Africa, especially of the Kalahari Desert. Traditionally nomadic hunter-gatherers, many are now employed by farmers. Also called San.
- The area is believed to have been inhabited originally by ethnic groups using a click-tongue language similar to that of Southern Africa's Bushmen.
- The stories I've shot are as diverse as the Hawaiian Extinction Crisis to the fate of southern Africa's Bushmen.
- Further south in Botswana, the famous Bushmen of the Kalahari desert are being moved out of the reserve where they have ranged free for centuries.
2 older term for San (the languages of these people).
- These people all came from the Burgersdorp and Colesberg regions and variations of one similar-sounding 'Bushman' language.
- Professional translators whose native language is Bushman perform our English to Bushman translation.
- Only professional translators whose native language is Vasekela bushman perform our English to Vasekela bushman translation.
3 (bushman) A person who lives, works, or travels in the Australian bush.
- The last Australian bushman still patrolling the country's famous rabbit proof fence on horseback is about to hang up his spurs.
- However he was a competent bushman and reliable bush worker, and Bryan also commented that he was an absolute marksman with a rifle.
- Do you imagine Bill Davidson as the tall, rangy Australian bushman of legend?
Words that rhyme with BushmanBushmen
Definition of Bushman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.