- The capital of Egypt, a port on the Nile near the head of its delta; population 6,758,600 (est. 2006). Also called el-Qahira; Arabic name al-Qahira.
- More example sentences
- This implies that the linguistic behavior of Cairene women is less ‘conservative’ than men, a finding that corroborates findings of previous studies across the Arab world.
- The non-classical standard, or urban Cairene, on the other hand, draws its dominance and prestige from its association with the social dialect of urban, upper class social groups.
- I stayed with a middle-class Cairene family, comfortably off but not rich, whose daily life is a struggle against the heat, the dust, the noise, the traffic, and the lack of privacy.
Pronunciation: /ˈkʌɪəriːn/adjective & noun
More definitions of CairoDefinition of Cairo in:
- The US English dictionary